United Presbyterian Church2360 Longwood Ave., Reedsport, OR 97467 (541) 271-3214. Pastor: (541) 218 7657
Sunday Service:10:30. Office and Pastor's Hours: Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, 9:00 til 2:00; Saturday from 9:00 to 11:30.
Last updated: 09/29/2023
The Lay Leader for October 1 is Dennis
FIRST READING: Philippians 2:1-11
1. If then there is any encouragement in Christ, any consolation from love, any sharing in the Spirit, any compassion and sympathy, 2. make my joy complete: be of the same mind, having the same love, being in full accord and of one mind. 3. Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility regard others as better than yourselves. 4. Let each of you look not to your own interests, but to the interests of others.
5. Let the same mind be in you that was in Christ Jesus, 6. who, though he was in the form of God, did not regard equality with God as something to be exploited, 7. but emptied himself, taking the form of a slave, being born in human likeness. And being found in human form, 8. he humbled himself and became obedient to the point of death—even death on a cross.
9. Therefore God also highly exalted him and gave him the name that is above every name, 10. so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bend, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, 11. and every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
GOSPEL: Matthew 21:23-32
23. When he entered the temple, the chief priests and the elders of the people came to him as he was teaching, and said, “By what authority are you doing these things, and who gave you this authority?”24. Jesus said to them, “I will also ask you one question; if you tell me the answer, then I will also tell you by what authority I do these things. 25. Did the baptism of John come from heaven, or was it of human origin?” And they argued with one another, “If we say, “From heaven,’ he will say to us, “Why then did you not believe him?’ 26. But if we say, “Of human origin,’ we are afraid of the crowd; for all regard John as a prophet.” 27. So they answered Jesus, “We do not know.” And he said to them, “Neither will I tell you by what authority I am doing these things.
28. “What do you think? A man had two sons; he
went to the first and said, “Son, go and work in the vineyard today.’ 29. He
answered, “I will not'; but later he changed his mind and went. 30. The father
went to the second and said the same; and he answered, “I go, sir'; but he did
not go. 31. Which of the two did the will of his father?” They said, “The
first.” Jesus said to them, “Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the
prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you. 32. For John came to
you in the way of righteousness and you did not believe him, but the tax
collectors and the prostitutes believed him; and even after you saw it, you did
not change your minds and believe him.